3.09.2019

George Town Photo Diary



Malaysia is not a stranger to me anymore. I traveled here when I was a kid, even did a summer exchange in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur back in 2016. It's safe to say that I'm already pretty familiar with the surroundings and how to get around. Although, I was still stoked to spend the week here, giving there are still plenty of places that I haven't yet visited.

Coming here for the third time now I feel like going to a new destination. Living alone for quite some time, it makes me more interested in exploring new places. Traveling around has been pretty easy nowadays, thanks to the invention of google maps and online transportation services. Still, walking around in a city without no one guiding you where to go is both challenging and fun. This time that city happens to be Georgetown, Penang.




Named as one of the UNESCO world heritage sites, Georgetown is the capital city of Penang and located in the Penang island. So expect to find inexplicable art scenes along the streets, from murals to other types of installation. Since every corner is a photo-worthy spot, I didn't really bother walking around, although the weather was a little too warm by the time I was visiting.

A couple of days before I visited, I was in Malacca city, which was also inscribed as one of UNESCO world heritage sites as well. Similarities between both cities of course can be found through their architectural style. Old, worn-out shophouses and colonial buildings with a touch of cultural diversity. An exquisite view of ancient architecture.



I came here with no expectations at all. I even put another town on the list, just in case I changed my mind. But arriving here and knowing that I'm only a walking distance away to the sound of waves and the most fresh seafood in town, my heart is so in awe. Spending an evening in the city sipping coffee or talking a walk along the jetty, is never too much.

I found plenty of art and antique shops along the streets. Some stuffs I just don't find back home. It's actually an eclectic heaven for me, even to just window shop around. And of course the art just doesn't stop there. Themed cafes and coffee shops in Georgetown are worth-visiting—not that I already am a sucker for these kind of places—and I wish I had visited more. I didn't know any city could actually draw my interest again after Tokyo, but this one surely is a catch.








Junk Cafe




Have yourself an authentic kaya toast breakfast










Pinang Peranakan Museum













Awesome Canteen @ Sekeping Victoria



ISSUU | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM: @ALITACLAUDIA x @VVEEKEND101 |
OTHER INQUIRIES PLEASE EMAIL: ALITA.CLAUDIA@YAHOO.COM

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea George Town had such beautiful murals and detailed architectural structures. Loved all your photos.

    xo, Maria
    https://www.miamiamine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to visit Malaysia, you're so lucky to had the chace to know it so well!
    Your photos are amamzing, they give really the idea of that hidden side that often escape to tourists!
    Very beautiful and interesting!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are captivating! It's good to see a town in Malaysia with a little mixture of east and west influence. I like the seaside spot the most.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job: I love all these pics!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance